Sunday, January 15, 2012

chocolate chunk, macadamia nut & coconut cookies

It's Sunday afternoon, a chilly high of 23˚F, and I've baked two things from my own blog, homemade bagels & perfect chocolate chip cookies just to keep the house warm. Our baseboard electric heat can run our bill sky high in the winter so instead of turning it on....I bake. ALL. DARN. DAY. 


Most of the recipes from my blog I bake/make on a regular basis and some of them I've made several times. No lie. I also try and update the recipe if I have found that I've missed something like a step or ingredient. So if you follow them step-by-step you should have no problem creating them. But if you do, PLEASE let me know what didn't work for you and I hope to help you out......


Chocolate, macadamia nuts and coconut are my favorite flavor combos for cookies. I've taken the recipe for perfect chocolate chip cookies and added my personal taste spin to it. This recipe has a fair amount of sugar in it and crazily I add a tiny bit more with sweetened coconut. You can use "unsweetened" coconut, but it's not going to give you that chewy texture like sweetened does. Also, try and use a dark chocolate. There's less sugar in dark chocolate and dark chocolate just tastes better!


Chocolate, Macadamia Nut & Coconut Cookies adapted from the blog The Way The Cookie Crumbles via Cook's Illustrated




makes 16 cookies

1 3/4 cup (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks 
3/4 cup toasted macadamia nuts
1/2 - 3/4 cup sweetened coconut

Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 375˚. Line two sheets with parchment paper. 

In a bowl, whisk flour and baking soda together.

Heat 10 tablespoons of unsalted butter over MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT until melted, 2 minutes. Continue cooking until butter is dark golden brown with a nutty aroma, 1 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add 4 tablespoons of COLD butter. Whisk to melt completely. 

Pour browned butter into a large bowl. Add both sugars, salt and vanilla extract and whisk for 30 seconds. Mixture should be smooth with no lumps. Add the whole egg and yolk and whisk for 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for another 30 seconds. Repeat the process 2 more times until the mixture is thick, smooth and super shiny. 

Fold in flour and baking soda until combined. Stir in chocolate chunks, macadamia nuts and coconut.

Scoop or spoon into 16 cookies. ***I use a 2 ounce cookie scoop***

Bake for 12 - 16 minutes, rotating halfway through baking. Cookies will look and feel a little raw.....don't worry. You want them underdone slightly. Cool on wire rack.



These cookies keep well in an airtight container for up to a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment