Friday, March 14, 2014

homemade girl scout trefoils

It's the month of March, almost spring (thank goodness), and Girl Scout Cookie season!!! I am patiently waiting for the east coast's Girl Scouts to distribute their cookies, but in the meantime I'm baking up a batch of my very own Trefoil cookies. Although my cookie cutter isn't exactly in the shape of a trefoil, it does imprint the cookie with the Girl Scout's iconic image.



My Mom always bought us Girl Scout Cookies when we were little. My favorites back then were the Thin Mints and the Do-Si-Dos. My current favorite is the Samoas/Caramel deLites. But when it's not GS cookie season, I make my own which I blogged about here.


Trefoil cookies can be a little boring and aren't my go-to cookie if I'm aching for something sweet. Especially since the recipe changed a while back and they no longer sprinkle any crunchy sugar on top. Nonetheless it was my Mom's favorite GS cookie and if she were still alive today, I'd package these up and send them to her.


My Trefoils are made with a sugar cookie dough, but traditionally they're made with shortbread. I carefully brushed a little egg white around the edges and dusted them with sparkling sugar.


If you'd like to make your very own homemade Trefoils, check out this shop on Esty to buy a cute cookie cutter like this one. 

PS….Please don't think I'm showing any disrespect towards the Girls Scouts and their cookies. I still support them and buy them happily every year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment