Saturday, February 12, 2011

mounds of almond joy



So this post is not about a type of dough or batter, but just homemade joy!!! ALMOND JOY!!!!! (with sprinkles of Maldon Salt)

I've had this recipe saved on my desktop for months, plus my husband also likes to forward me recipes in hopes I might make them and in honor of Valentine's Day these were just begging to be made. I'll be totally honest and say that these aren't the easiest candies to make, but the ingredients are simple and maybe things you might have in your pantry already (well, at least I do!).

Enough chat and back to making joy!

Almond  Joy
this recipe is adapted from a great food blog I follow joy THE BAKER.
makes 26 -30 candies

7 ounces (1/2 can) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
50 - 60 raw almonds
about 20 ounces (1 1/2 bags) semi-sweet chocolate chips ***I used 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 bag of bittersweet chocolate chips*** 
Maldon Salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350°. Spread raw almonds out onto a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

In a medium bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Stir in both of the coconuts. The mixture will be thick. Place the mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes. It's easier to work with when it's a little cold.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove coconut mixture from freezer. With clean hands, shape one tablespoon of coconut into a little log about 2 inches long and 3/4 inch thick. ***I roll it between my hands and the log shape happens naturally*** Place the log onto the lined baking sheet and continue to roll out the rest of the coconut mixture. ***Washing your hands between shaping 6 - 8 pieces helps them not get too sticky*** Press an almond on top of each coconut log. ***We LOVE almonds so I placed two almonds on top of mine*** The almonds might not completely stick, but that's OK...Place baking sheet into the fridge to chill while you melt the chocolate.

***I skipped this step and melted my chocolate in the microwave. If the chocolate gets thick while you're working with it, nuke for 15 seconds*** Place a medium pot with 2 inches of water over a medium flame. Bring the water to a simmer. Place chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl and place bowl over the simmering water. Stir the chocolate as it melts. Turn off the flame once chocolate has melted but keep the bowl over the hot water.

Remove the coconut candies from the fridge. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip fork into melted chocolate. Place one coconut almond log onto chocolatey fork. Using a spoon, pour melted chocolate over log. Tap or shake the fork several times on the edge of the bowl to release some of the excess chocolate. Scrape the bottom of fork along the side/edge of bowl and place candy onto parchment lined sheet. ***I used a skewer to help me get the candy off of fork*** Repeat until all the candy is coated. ***I sprinkled Maldon Salt on top of mine at this stage because I felt it needed just a little bump of salt*** If chocolate gets too thick, just turn on the flame and heat slightly.

Let dipped candies harden in the fridge for 45 minutes. Store in air tight container @ room temp.


En"joy"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment