Saturday, May 24, 2014

kouign-amann….a weekend challenge

Last weekend I thought I'd challenge myself and brush-up on my laminating dough skills. Introducing the kouign-amann ("queen-a-MAHN"). I have come across recipes for these beauties many times, but I have always been intimidated to make them. Bon apéttit featured kouign-amann in their April issue with a beautiful tutorial spread, that I had to try it for myself. You can even check out their video too.

























Kouign-amann take time. Lots of time. There's a series of folding and rolling and letting your dough proof. All of the techniques needed to make a laminated dough. Watch bon apéttit's video. It will either scare or challenge you.

After
folding,
rolling,
and
the 
last
overnight
of 
proofing.

This recipe makes 12 kouign-amann.


The recipe didn't call for vanilla sugar, but I gilded the lily generously…..


Can you see the flecks of the vanilla bean???


Kouign-amann are really best eaten the day of. But if you happen to have a few leftover the next day, reheat in a 300°F oven for 5 - 7 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment