Thursday, August 11, 2011

recipe testing #1 - peanut butter cookies

So it seems as if my summer hiatus from my oven has been put on hold due to the glorious weather Mother Nature has decided to put upon NYC today! Plus I have been jonesing for some sugary treats which makes it the perfect excuse to bake something.


Yesterday I listed a few recipes that I was planning to test with all of my new organic, whole and natural ingredients. I was planning on making these peanut butter cookies, but then I came across this recipe.


I'm not gonna lie.....These cookies aren't mind blowing. But they are good. Good if you're a parent and you don't want to introduce or continue with white sugar in your kid's diet or just trying to eat less or omitting processed white sugar altogether.  


I didn't follow the recipe entirely and made my own substitutions with the ingredients that I had. Again, a good cookie but don't expect over-the-top or OMG when you take your first bite.....These peanut butter cookies are more "hippie" in flavor and texture.


Peanut Butter Cookies
adapted from the beautifully photographed blog...101 Cookbooks


Notes from the original recipe ***Spelt flour bakes into a slightly darker cookie, whole wheat pastry flour is slightly blonder - more traditional in appearance in the end. Finish the cookies with chopped nuts or a sprinkling of flaky salt. I'd also recommend seeking out peanut butter that is well combined, and not super-oily (extra slick) looking - to avoid problems with the cookie batter.*** 


INGREDIENTS
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour or unbleached all-purpose flour ***I used whole wheat pastry flour***
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 cup organic, chunky peanut butter ***Creamy peanut butter is totally fine***
1 cup maple syrup ***I wanted to test out my organic whole cane sugar here. I used 1/2 cup here plus 1/4 cup maple syrup***
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil ***I substituted organic coconut oil and added an additional 2 tablespoons***
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350F. Place racks in the top third of oven.


In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate and larger bowl combine the peanut butter, maple syrup (other sweeteners if using), olive oil (or other oil) and vanilla. Stir until combined. Pour the flour mixture over the peanut butter mixture and stir until barely combined - still a bit dusty looking. Let sit for five minutes, give one more quick stir, just a stroke or two. ***Since I didn't use the whole cup of maple syrup, my dough was a little dry - that's why I added the additional coconut oil*** Now drop heaping tablespoons onto a parchment lined baking sheet. ***Again, my dough was SUPER DRY! I had to gather up the crumbly dough and pressed them into balls*** Press down gently with back of fork. It's a loose dough (mine was NOT!), so if you're set on doing a criss-cross pattern, go ahead and chill the dough for an hour or so before this step. ***Again, I didn't have this problem*** Bake for 10, maybe 11 minutes - but don't over bake or they will be dry. ***I baked mine for 10 minutes. My cookies are a bit dry but I don't think it was because I over baked them*** Let cool five minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes 2 - 3 dozen






OK, these peanut butter cookies aren't going to knock your socks off that's for sure!!! So that is why I took them there and melted my bar of GREEN & BLACK'S 70% Dark chocolate bar and drizzled it on top.








No comments:

Post a Comment