Tuesday, August 16, 2011

recipe testing #3 - whole wheat banana bread

There are quite a few banana bread recipes out there and I do have my personal favorites. Today's recipe, whole wheat banana bread, is so good that I'll just have to add this one to my faves.


I've been on a "natural" sugar high these days and I am just stoked when I bake a recipe and it actually tastes good. Not saw-dusty at all!!! It's a huge adjustment for your palette to go from eating things made with processed white sugar vs. whole and natural sweeteners. Although when you eat something whole and natural, it just seems right. 


I guess I'll just have to save cupcakes with butter cream frosting, chocolate chip cookies, brownies and everything else that I adore for just special occasions......


Whole Wheat Banana Bread
found on allrecipes.com 


1/3 cup vegetable oil ***I substituted coconut oil here***
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)


1. Preheat oven to 325F.


2. In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together. Add eggs and mix well. Stir in bananas and vanilla extract. Stir in flour and salt. Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then add to batter. Fold in chopped nuts. Spread batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.


3. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment