Friday, June 7, 2013

a princess castle cake for bella!!!

Sculpted cakes are really not my specialty and since I've given up on using fondant to cover the outside of cakes I was up against a major decorating dilemma.

For Bella's princess castle cake I didn't waste any cake and absolutely no fondant was used. I do admit that icing a cake with just Swiss-meringue buttercream was quite challenging but I somehow made it work here. I'm also a fan of Candy Melts that I used to pre-pipe the doors and windows.....

The cake isn't picture perfect and there are things that I would have done differently, but for my first ever princess castle cake it's not THAT bad. Is it???

After I frosted the base of the cake, I added cupcakes and ice cream cones for the turrets. I also cheated with some cut ribbon for the flags.

I wanted to go crazy with a walkway and grass. But at the umpteenth hour I was only able to do very little.




HAPPY
BIRTHDAY
BELLA!!!

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely and very feminine and creative..BRAVO on a lovely cake that would delight any princess !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! It was definitely challenging and fun to make.

      Delete